Skip to main content

the pictures we take; the memories we keep




pictures and pictures and pictures. 

some blurred by the swift movement of spontaneous laughter or sudden change in direction. some lit by bright eyes and wide smiles. some accidentally taken, by sticky-fingered sneaky hands. some grabbing the complexity of layers upon layers of color in the sky over Kerala and transforming it into tangible glory. some capturing the simplistic joy of running through the green grass of our backyard. some embodying the dreams of my parents and the faithfulness of a Mighty Creator. some attempting to freeze the exact moment i see a world of hope in the dark pupils of a small child's gaze in a busy village. some are posed and orchestrated to include all participants' best smiles and angles, all in coordinating colors. some are candid and realistic, no pattern or planning, just life. 

some of these photographs will never be shared or rediscovered; some of them will not be looked at in the near future, maybe not for years and years to come... not because they are imperfect or because they lack value, but because in an effort to capture all of these amazing moments, we have to pick and choose our memories. we journal and share and print and catalog and paste and cut and organize... we look at the faces and the subjects and the instances and we reminisce. maybe we think about when times were harder or easier, when life was a struggle or when it was finally a triumph, when life was brand-new or became a well-earned routine. maybe these pictures make us grateful for what we had then or what we have now. maybe it takes us back to visions of clarity or of finding ourselves, when we stood on a high point and looked down below, when we stood as a family next to the beauty of nature. when we fought and survived, when we masked the pain to be strong for those we love. when our hearts were bursting or slowly breaking. when our souls were illuminated by pure joy and the opportunities to truly live were right there, and we clutched tightly with feeble hands. 

i try to take pictures of experiences i want to remember, or at least experiences i know i need to hold onto. travels, meals, shared adventures, simple activities. these all hold meaning to me, all of these components of our living add something to my life. they contribute to conversations, realizations, lessons, and growing... growing of myself and of my marriage, of my teaching, and of my faith, of my character and my dreams. 


recently, the pictures journal my children. the pictures display the many milestones they have reached, and the many new challenges they have taken on.  the photographs are a witness to their resiliency and their curiosity, their stubborn will and teeming tantrums, their fierce strength and gentle spirits, their giving hearts and their unique beauty.
the pictures become treasures because the pictures can remain, even when memories begin to fade. 

these photos that i so adamantly save will, hopefully, serve as reminders when seasons of our lives need to be recalled and talked about and shared and laughed at and cried over and held tight to. 

picture after picture after picture. 
season after season after season.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Most Beautiful Mama

My mama has always been beautiful. It is a beauty that is natural and effortless and is the type of beauty that filled my heart with longing when I was a child. I can recall staring at how flawless the even color of her skin was, how adorable the few freckles were on her cheeks, how symmetrical her nose was. I remember thinking how absolutely perfect she looked in a sari, her pleats folded so pristinely, and the tuck of material into her waist seamless and smooth.   I would often feel the softness of my mother’s hands. Hands that had delicate fingers that moved with precision and purpose. Hands that kneaded chapati dough and even held tight to a lawn mower. No matter what she did, her hands were always soft, always welcoming, always beautiful. But she never liked to focus on her own physical beauty. My mother’s true beauty comes from within.  I understood certain aspects of this inner beauty when I was a child. The beauty that comes from her servant’s heart and her work ethic -

conversations.

i find myself thinking a lot about the condition of this world, of this nation, and of the hearts of man.  i just open my eyes and really look around or open my ears to truly listen, and i cannot help but face the reality of evil. the reality of corruption. the reality of prejudice. the reality of inequality. the reality of bigotry. the reality of entitlement. the reality of self-righteousness. the reality of immorality. the reality of sin. i have struggled with the presence of these realities for a significant part of my life, and  maybe to some degree for all of my life. but now i struggle with them beyond my identity as a woman, or a child of immigrants, or an educator, or an indian-american, or a Christ follower. i struggle with these harsh realities as a mother. you see, we are trying our hardest to raise three people who will one day change their world. i believe that they can, and i pray that they will. these three little girls have hope in their souls and eternity i

i am left...

it was a grocery store in buffalo.  and it was a church in laguna woods.  and it was an elementary school in uvalde, texas.  it is all the times in between and all the times before.  and God please help us, it is all the times after.  i am left with my mind in a jumbled mass of arguments and anger, my heart a knot of ache and pain. i am left with my soul stretching its voice to plea. i am left as i attempt to send my children off to school and myself to walk into my own classroom with my will torn to shreds... barely a thread hanging onto any purpose at all. i am left weeping before bed, sobbing on the way to work, shuddering at the thought of this happening and america continuing on like usual.  i am left scrolling through pictures of beautiful humans that will never breathe again, left reading posts of those who miss the laughs of their cherished, left staring at photos of special occasions, a frozen moment that was supposed to be one in a series of many more. left searching for the